Jobs With Justice Education Fund is an affirmative action employer and strongly encourages people of color, women, l/g/b/t/q individuals, those with disabilities, and those with working class backgrounds to apply.
Public Education Organizer, Massachusetts Jobs With Justice
Reports to: Field Director
The Ballot Measure Committee seeks dynamic candidates to manage volunteer voter contact efforts, coalition building, grassroots recruitment and the engagement of the members of endorsing organizations. We strongly encourage people of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, those with disabilities, and those with working class backgrounds to apply.
- Works at direction of field director to secure and capitalize upon endorsements.
- Manage local coalitions.
- Organize outreach events in targeted areas.
- Recruit and train volunteers for overall campaign efforts, working with allied groups and organizations.
- Work with communications team to identify local spokespeople and media opportunities.
- Works under the direction of the Field Director to execute the voter contact plan to:
- Build and train structure in the targeted areas
- Implement the field portion of the voter contact program and activities
- Provide training and direction to volunteers
- Execute field plan as required by the overall voter contact plan.
- Organize table of allies in field area to run field program.
- Contact local elected officials regarding endorsements.
- One “drill down” political and field meeting per week.
- Identify supporters, undecided voters, and opponents using campaign organizing tactics.
- Manage field office(s) in region/area.
- Execute GOTV program.
- Assist with earned media and tracking in the field
Key Qualities and Competencies:
- Strong commitment to and understanding of community organizing, social justice and the labor movement.
- 1-2 years experience labor or community organizing including base building, leadership development, campaign research, and communications. This may include volunteer experience and participation in campaigns as a rank and file organizer.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a diverse organization.
- Knowledge, skill, and experience in developing and leading effective campaign strategy and commitment to developing rank and file leadership.
- This is a fast-paced work environment; expect to work on weekends. Must be able to multi-task and hold multi-deadlines as well as possess strong analytical skills.
- Proficiency in Spanish, Portuguese or Creole a plus.
Please send inquiries, resumes and cover letters to Lynda.tocci(at)deweysquare.com. Deadline to apply – April 15, 2016.
Western Massachusetts Organizer, Massachusetts Jobs With Justice
Massachusetts Jobs With Justice (www.massjwj.net) is seeking a dedicated, hard-working individual to carry out the overall work of the organization and to help with campaigns, communications and coordination of our growing community-labor coalition in Western Massachusetts.
The Organizer will work with other Jobs With Justice staff to carry out the work of the organization and participate fully in the planning and implementation of our work-plan as outlined by our Steering and Executive Committees. The Organizer will work under the supervision of the Organizing Director and Mass Executive Director. The Organizer will help JWJ projects and will carry out, and help to organize others to carry out, the work of the coalition. This work will include, but not be limited to, the following responsibilities:
1. Coordinate and drive local area campaigns including the items listed below. (This person won’t necessarily do all this work her/himself, but will be responsible for coordinating and following up with everyone else to ensure the plan is on track and work is getting done.)
- Outreach to and ongoing conversations with community organizations, faith-based groups, other unions, etc to build coalitions and collaborations on JWJ campaigns.
- Facilitate local unions & allies developing goals & strategy of campaigns.
- Facilitate regular coalition meetings, Executive Committee, and Steering Committee meetings.
- Planning and implementing campaign events.
- Ensure outreach to elected officials happens as needed by campaigns.
- Ensure proactive outreach to relevant news media happens to get earned media coverage of our campaigns and issues.
- Public speaking and writing to explain campaign goals.
- Work with other staff for ongoing administration of the coalition, develop a regular media presence, maintain online communications, including social media.
- Do direct outreach to workers.
2. Work with other labor and community campaigns to integrate work into overall building of workers’ movement including connecting work of our campaigns to other organizing, bargaining and community struggles as appropriate.
3. Serve as point person for participation in national JWJ campaigns as appropriate.
Person applying should have strong interpersonal and communications skills and a minimum of two years organizing experience. This position is funded for one year but may become permanent. Position is covered by Jobs With Justice Personnel Policy and includes medical, dental and other benefits. Salary is $40,000-$45,000 depending on experience.