Jobs With Justice Education Fund is an affirmative action employer and strongly encourages people of color, women, l/g/b/t/q individuals, those with disabilities, and those with working class backgrounds to apply.
Campaign Organizer, Portland Jobs With Justice
Portland Jobs with Justice (JwJ) is seeking a full-time Campaign Organizer to help our organization build and manage active and emerging campaigns and partnerships with unions, faith leaders, community organizations, and volunteer activists. The Campaign Organizer works to bringing together multiple member organizations and key partners of Portland Jobs with Justice to leverage collective power for working people and working families in the Portland Metro area, and beyond.
The ideal candidate will have a proven ability to create and lead campaigns and efforts with multiple stakeholders, and a track record of helping foster cooperation between organizations with differing interests and priorities. A significant part of their work will include building and managing relationships with a wide range of union organizations. They will be committed to building strong and accountable relationships, and working with leaders and activists from many communities, racial and ethnic communities, class backgrounds, ages, abilities, gender identities and gender presentations. This position is an opportunity to work with key members and leaders of the coalition, senior leadership and staff of allied unions and workers rights organizations, committed activists that are a part of our base, and other partners to generate strategic campaigns or initiatives that advance the mission and priorities of the coalition. Experience and dedication to Faith-Labor connections, racial justice, LGBTQ rights, and immigrant and refugee rights a strong plus.
About Portland Jobs with Justice
Portland Jobs with Justice (JwJ) is a 25 year-old coalition of 100 labor, community, and faith organizations – as well as thousands of activists – dedicated to building a powerful movement for social justice for ALL working people in Portland and in the state. We do this by actively building the number of member organizations that join the coalition, identifying activists and leaders from our member organizations who pledge to “be there” for each other’s actions, and bringing together members of the coalition from multiple sectors – labor, community, faith, student/youth, and others- into shared struggles and strategic campaigns.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Campaign coordination Lead strategic coalition campaigns to promote economic justice in Portland, OR
- Under supervision of Executive Director, develop campaign strategy and plan.
- Build ad hoc coalitions, committees or working groups as needed to lead campaigns.
- Implement strategic campaign work engaging coalition member groups, activists, and allies.
- Build Portland JwJ’s long-term capacity by bringing in new activists and member organizations through campaigns.
- Workers Rights trainings and education program: Coordinate workers rights training program and other political and popular education opportunities
- Develop a calendar of trainings; Secure locations for trainings as needed, all related coordination and logistics
- Work with other staff to identify and recruit guest trainers from within coalition and partners and/or develop and deliver training content
- Promote trainings, including flyers, facebook, and email listserves. Outreach to workers, recruit participants, etc.
- Collect sign-in sheets and enter in database.
- Identify leaders and expand JwJ’s membership, base and leaders from worker participants
- Communications: Ensure regular communication about Portland JwJ activities to member groups, activists, and general public
- Develop campaign materials as needed.
- Contribute content for website, newsletter, twitter and other publications as needed.
- Support Executive Director in building media relationships and maintaining media list.
- Support other coalition activities as needed:
- Support grassroots fundraising efforts as asked.
- Represent coalition as needed at member organization or community events.
- Table, make presentations, give trainings as needed.
- Contribute to maintenance of online database lists (experience with Action Network and Salesforce desirable)
- Act as liaison to endorsed campaigns.
- Support or supervise interns working on priority campaigns.
- Participate in actions and mobilizations as needed
- Demonstrated, solid, passionate commitment to a deeply intersectional analysis and practice of justice, including social, racial, and economic justice, LGBTQ and immigrant rights
- An understanding of the labor movement, religious organizations and other social movements
- Minimum of three years grassroots organizing and/or labor and worker organizing experience.
- Previous experience working on or leading strategic campaigns.
- Ability to be a self-starter, and to work independently toward agreed upon goals.
- A strong ability to motivate people, coordinate volunteer activity and delegate responsibility.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Proven ability to work well as a team member, build relationships, and coordinate diverse groups.
- Excellent personal accountability, problem-solving, self-motivation and follow through skills.
- Demonstrated capacity to think logically, manage details, set and manage deadlines, and multitask.
- Demonstrated ability to raise funds.
- Willingness to work long hours, including 1-2 nights/week and weekends regularly.
- Proficient in computer skills, including database management, word processing and desktop publishing.
- Own vehicle available for work (mileage is reimbursed).
Additional desirable qualities (plusses but not requirements):
- Familiarity with organizing, bargaining, or contract campaigns
- Familiarity with corporate and local and/or statewide policy campaigns
- Familiarity with direct action organizing and coordination and/or arts and cultural organizing
- Organizing in immigrant communities
- The ability to speak a second language;
- Knowledge and/or experience with Jobs with Justice!
Compensation and Benefits: This is a full-time position, with a salary range of $38,000-$40,000 DOE. We offer health and dental insurance, three weeks’ vacation, paid holidays, and a 401k with employer contributions. This position is covered by a staff union.