Walmart Associates Stand Up for Change
As the largest private sector employer in the United States, Walmart has enormous power to set the trends not just for the retail and service industries, but for the economy as a whole. Wages and working conditions set at Walmart have a ripple-effect throughout all jobs: low wages, limited access to health care, and no retirement security.
On June 7th,associates at Walmart stores nationwide launched the Organization United for Respect at Walmart, or OUR Walmart. OUR Walmart was founded with a mission to ensure that every Associate, regardless of his or her title, age, race, or sex, is respected at Walmart.
Click here to let Walmart Associates know that you stand with them as they work to make a difference in their own stores & their company.
Jobs with Justice is making change at Walmart on two fronts:
- In cities where Walmart is looking to expand, Jobs with Justice coalitions are working to ensure that Walmart has a positive impact in our communities. For example, some coalitions are working to get Walmart to sign community benefit agreements that ensure good jobs, and to ensure that their stores do not negatively impact local communities.
- Jobs with Justice coalitions are working with the Organization for Respect at Walmart (OUR Walmart) to build a voice for Walmart associates.
What we’re demanding from Walmart is what we’re demanding overall: creation of good jobs, the right to organize and collectively bargain, and the right for dignity and self-determination for our families and the communities we live in.
Some say that Walmart cannot be organized. But many said the same about auto workers at Ford before 1935 or about janitors before 1985. Both victories not only changed the lives of the workers involved, but they raised the floor for working people and our communities across the country. They changed the entire economy for the better by creating sustainable, union jobs and dignity for our communities. If we can change Walmart, we can improve the lives of all working people.
Take action today:
- Let Walmart Associates know you stand with them as they work to create change at Walmart
- Please encourage the Walmart Associates you know to join OUR Walmart at www.ForRespect.org
- Connect with the campaign for change at Walmart on Facebook & Twitter
Thank you for joining us in this important work.